90 Years in 90 Days: Medusa Portland Cement Headquarters
90 photos that define Cleveland Heights
Cleveland Heights officially became a city in 1921. Cleveland Heights Patch is observing that 90th anniversary by compiling 90 photos to create an album of the city's past and present. We'll run the feature for 90 days, one photo at a time.
Today's photo shows the headquarters of Medusa Cement near Lee Road and Monticello Boulevard.
Medusa Cement was originally founded as the Sandusky Portland Cement company by Arthur, Spencer and William Newberry. The company was renamed after Medusa, the gorgon who turned men to stone, according to Greek mythology.
The company prospered during the post World War II building boom, and moved its headquarters to 3008 Monticello Blvd. In 1998, the company was acquired by Southdown, Inc. The headquarters moved to Houston, where Southdown was located. -Source: Encyclopedia of Cleveland History