Cleveland Heights officially became a city in 1921. Cleveland Heights Patch is observing that 90th anniversary by compiling 90 photos to create an album of the city's past and present. We'll run the feature for 90 days, one photo at a time.
Today's photo recalls the prominence of Fisher Foods, a major grocery chain that lasted more than 50 years.
The company, originally called Fisher Bros., was started in 1907 by three New Yorkers: brothers Manning F. and Charles Fisher and Joseph Salmon. The trio opened the first store on 47th and Lorain. The company was incorporated in 1908. By 1928, it was a chain of more than 300 stores across northern Ohio and pulled in $18 million.
The company, which adopted the name Fisher Foods, Inc., was Cleveland's largest retail food distributor until the 1960s. But the company lost its market share and was sold in 1965.