About a year and a half ago, graduate and Shaker Heights resident Mai Moore organized a concert that featured 10 musicians who are all Heights High alums.
She called it the .
And she put on during consecutive weekends at in July 2011.
This weekend, more than 20 artists will perform at the fourth Once Again Showcase at Cleveland’s Agora theater.
“Once Again is meant to bring together the community, showing a diverse range in musical and artistic talent, showing unity and family and focusing on quality,” Moore wrote in a press release. “This year’s showcase will include signed recording artists from Chicago, New York and Atlanta.”
The event features a grad from 1985 and another from 2012, though most of the artists attended Heights around the same time Moore did — in the ‘90s. They’ll perform a variety of genres including hip hop, acoustic-electro, soul, R&B, reggae, alternative and jazz.
The opening act may not be from Cleveland Heights, but he’s well known locally and beyond. Beachwood High School grad and former American Idol contestant Stephen Fowler will open with Kenny Mack.
Some very important guests are also attending the show. Moore said that Producer Simon Illa and EMI A&R Executive Eric Newman will choose one Once Again artist who will win a single distribution deal through EMI and have their music featured on a network where listeners can purchase songs.
But some aspects of the show remain unchanged from the first.
“I want people to know that it is open to everybody, it’s not just for Heights alumni. It’s a real Cleveland community event that they should come to from start to finish ... there’s a reason why the people are in the order they are,” Moore said in an interview in April 2011.
2012 Once Again Showcase. 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. The Agora, Cleveland. Tickets are $18 in advance and $25 at the door and can be purchased through Ticketmaster or the Agora Theater.
The full line-up, courtesy of Moore:
Hosts: Anthony Jones ‘93 and Ahmaad Crump ‘94
DJ: Diamond DLee | Damon Lee | ‘96
Comedian: D Hawk | Delonte Hawkins |’94
Artists featured for 2012:
- Wildlife Soundz featuring Jungl Droop Jumonji| Hip Hop | '92
- featuring Deacon Burns | Alternative Hip Hop | Years 90-93
- Hopera | A Hip Hop Opera | Adrian Dunn | ’03
- Myron | Soul | Myron Davis | ’92
- All Star Jammerz featuring Obie Won | Soca, Pop, Reggae, Dancehall | ’95
- Gwen Maul | Soul & R&B | '94
- Kenneth McCalla | R&B, Neo Soul, Old School & New School | ’85
- The Brovament | Hip Hop | Big Whiskey (Roderick Gibbs) & (Curtis Britton) | '93 & '94
- Rum Rozier | House | '92
- G.O.R.K. | Acoustic-Electro | ‘93
- Nick Holmes | Experimental Hip Hop/Electronic| ’12
- In count…Her | Alternative | Latoya Kent & Dwayne Pigee' |’93 & ‘93
- Stacia | Soul/Reggae | '96
- Kellan Walker | R&B/Soul | '05
- Jay Floyd | Hip Hop | '94
- Grown Blak | Hip Hop | Mouthpiece (Eric Berry) & King Hue (Mark Foust) | ’91 & ‘94
- Early Da Chief |Hip Hop | James Early | ‘05
- Dem Hipsters | Hip Hop | Armand Davis| ’08