The proposed is one step closer to being recognized on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board voted July 20 to recommend that the Euclid Heights Historic District application be sent to the keeper of the National Register of Historic Places.
If the keeper approves the application, the neighborhood will receive the designation. It normally takes about 90 days to review the applications, according to a press release from the Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board. The board nominated nine other Ohio neighborhoods, three in Cleveland and one in Cleveland Heights.
Cedar Road to the south, Mayfield Road to the north, Overlook Road to the west and Coventry Road to the east frame the Euclid Heights Historic District, according to a flier included with this article from the City of Cleveland Heights.
Many buildings in the Coventry Village Business District are included as well as all buildings on the north side of Cedar Road in the Cedar Fairmount district, said Kara Hamley O'Donnell, historic preservation planner for Cleveland Heights.
The press release highlighted information about the district:
A suburban community of 1890-1930 originally planned for a middle- and upper-class market, the Euclid Heights Historic District was recommended for nomination to the National Register on the basis of its local historic and architectural significance.
Euclid Heights was developed by Patrick Calhoun, who began buying property for the allotment in 1891, hired prominent landscape architect Ernest Bowditch to lay it out, recorded the initial plat in 1892, and marketed his development as “Cleveland’s Park Allotment.”
The development became a part of Cleveland Heights when the village was formed in 1901. The proposed National Register district encompasses a wide range of early 20th century building types: single- and double-family homes, several types of apartment buildings, Hotel (individually listed on the ) and commercial structures in the Coventry and Cedar-Fairmount areas in a range of styles typical of the era. Many of the houses and buildings were designed by noted local architects. The first house in the district, at 2141 Overlook Road, was built in 1893 as the home of architect Alfred Hoyt Granger. By 1930, Euclid Heights was largely built out and its neighborhoods and commercial districts were firmly established.
If the keeper approves the application, it would be Cleveland Heights’ 11th historic district.
Cleveland Heights had another historic district make the list earlier this year — .
According to Cleveland Heights City Council member Mary Dunbar, who application for the Shaker Farm district, there are 10 historic districts that include at least a portion of Cleveland Heights land:
- Overlook Road Carriage House District, 1974
- Fairmount Boulevard District, 1976
- Shaker Village District, 1984 (mostly modern-day Shaker Heights)
- Forest Hill Historic District, 1986 (extends into East Cleveland)
- Fairhill Road Village District, 1990 (mostly in Cleveland)
- Ambler Heights Historic District, 2002
- Euclid Golf Allotment, 2002,
- Inglewood Historic District, 2009
- Grant Deming’s Forest Hill Allotment, 2010
- Shaker Farm, 2012