UPDATE: Four Teens Charged With Murder in Cleveland Heights Shooting

One was arrested by Cleveland Heights Police after the Coventry Street Arts Fair

Updated 3:25 p.m. Thursday, published 2:20 p.m. Wednesday

Cleveland Heights Police have charged four teens with murder in connection with the that took .

Police Chief Jeffrey Robertson said Dominique King, 19, of Cleveland, Antonio Kirk, 18, of Euclid, Jamal Cammack, 18, of Cleveland and a 17-year-old from Cleveland were in the car that pulled up to the gas station on Superior and Lee roads that night.

The have also been charged with aggravated rioting and participating in criminal gang activity, Robertson said.

One of the teens, Dominique King, was also arrested and charged with aggravated robbery for trying to grab a police officer's gun after the Coventry Street Arts Fair.

congregated after the street fair. Fights broke out and , and the .

The events for minors in the Cedar Lee and Coventry business districts, and council to Severance Town Center after Robertson said .

King pleaded guilty to obstructing official business Nov. 15, and he will be sentenced Dec. 20, according records from the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office.

Robertson provided more details about what happened the evening Artwon Oliver was shot.

Artwon had attended a party on Superior Road and Parkway Drive where police were earlier that night.

A caller reported that there were youth fighting in the area, so police responded to the party just after 11 p.m. When police arrived, no one was fighting, but about 10 males ran out of the side door of the house, and they saw other youth fleeing the party.

Police issued citations to the homeowner and to a youth walking in the street and arrested Santwan Jones, 18, of University Heights, for an outstanding warrant with the city, he said.

Artwon and a group of about six left the party and headed to the Sunoco on Superior and Lee for snacks, Robertson said.

As they were leaving, he said one, possibly two cars pulled up to the store. A group of four male suspects got out, and there was a fight. The received numerous calls of a "large disturbance" in the area around 11:45 p.m, and the callers said that they heard at least one to two gunshots. When police arrived, they saw Artwon laying in the road, just south of Superior on Lee Road.

Artwon was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center by a Cleveland Heights rescue squad and later died from his injuries, according to an earlier statement from police.

Officers tried to administer CPR, but he was unresponsive. Police are still investigating the incident.

Cleveland Heights Patch will update this story as details become available.

Arrests and charges do not indicate conviction.

Barbara Cloud December 01, 2011 at 05:09 PM
Nothing can take away the sting of another youth being killed by a gun. My heart goes out to the family who's life won't be the same with the lost of a child so young. My prayers are with you. At this same time I can't help but wonder if precious time was lost in getting the youth to Metro Gen'l. When/if Huron Road Hospital had been open, those minutes lost in transporting him could have made a difference. He would have been no more than 5 to 8 minutes away from an emergency room or trauma center. This time it was a youth , the next time it could be a fireman or policeman needing critical help, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think of all the different scenerios in life that can happen or won't happen on that long drive out of our area. Barb C.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »