Cleveland Heights residents reported 16 car break-ins Tuesday, Aug. 21.
Eleven crimes occured on the 2600 block of Hampshire Road.
And in every single case, the car door was unlocked, said Police Chief Jeffrey Robertson.
Police are investigating the incidents and believe that all of the crimes are related.
In addition, two cars were stolen that day from the 2600 block and the 2700 block of of Edgehill Road. Those cars were unlocked, too. Police recovered both — one driver crashed the car and the other thief fled from police after he abandoned the vehicle in East Cleveland.
Robertson said residents should always lock their car doors, keep the driveway lights on and take valuables like GPS systems and iPods in the house or lock them in the trunk where they can't be seen.
The car break-ins, thefts from cars and car thefts were reported in the following areas between 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. Aug. 21:
- 2600 block of Hampshire — Residents reported eight car break-ins and three people also reported that something was stolen from their cars.
- 2600 block of Edgehill — Residents reported one car theft, one car break-in and one theft from car.
- 2700 block of Edgehill — Residents reported one car theft and one car break-in.
- 2300 block of Bellfield Road —Residents reported one car break-in.
- 3000 block of Berkshire — Residents reported one car break-in.
Reports compiled from call logs and information from the .