Cleveland Heights officially became a city in 1921. Cleveland Heights Patch is by compiling 90 photos to create an album of the city's past and present. We'll run the feature for 90 days, one photo at a time.
Today's photo shows the construction of Monticello Boulevard near the intersection of Mayfield Road. The photo was taken around 1939, just four years after the creation of the Works Progress Administation, or WPA. Later, the name was changed to the Works Projects Administration.
The WPA was a government-funded labor program established during the Depression. Although the effort employed many construction workers, artists, writers and scholars were part of the program as well. The murals in are examples of WPA art projects. The WPA ended in 1943.