The Cleveland Heights - University Heights School District is unrolling a new schedule to start the school year.
The change impacts kindergarteners through fifth graders.
The district will use a staggered start during the first week of the school year.
"We believe that this format will provide greater opportunities for students to make new friends, reduce stress during the first days of school, receive more individualized attention, and create their classroom community," district officials said in a news release.
Additionally, district officials believe the new procedure will better meet the requirements of the state's Third Grade Reading Guarantee.
"Getting to know students personally and academically will enhance our ability to meet the needs of each student," the news release reads.
Below is a timeline for how students will report to school during the first week of school:
- During each of the first three days of school (Aug. 28, 29, and 30), one-third of each kindergarten class will attend one "Orientation Day." On the fourth day, Tuesday, Sept. 3, all kindergarten students will report to school.
- A parent or guardian will be invited to participate in the Orientation Day. This Orientation Day will include time for parents to get to know the Kindergarten teaching team. Parents are asked to attend for an hour-and-a-half of this orientation time. Kindergarten students will stay for a full day of orientation.
- During your child’s orientation time, he or she will play with other children while teachers have a chance to observe each student’s attributes. The reduced number of students provides a greater opportunity for the students, parents, and teachers to become familiar and comfortable with one another.
- You will receive a notice from your school’s principal who will invite you and your student to participate in one Orientation Day.
First Through Fifth Graders
- Students in grades one to five with a last name beginning with the letters A to K will report to school on Wednesday, Aug. 28, the first day of school for students. They will report again on the third day of school, Friday, Aug. 30.
- Students with a last name beginning with the letters L to Z will report to school on Thursday, Aug. 29, the second day of school for students. They will report again on the third day of school, Friday, Aug. 30.
Middle and High School Students
- Report to school starting Wednesday, Aug. 28.