90 photos that define Cleveland Heights
Cleveland Heights officially became a city in 1921. Cleveland Heights Patch is observing that 90th anniversary by compiling 90 photos to create an album of the city's past and present. We'll run the feature for 90 days, one photo at a time. Today's photo from the Cleveland Press shows Archbishop Edward F. Hoban blessing the newly built St. Ann Church at 2157 Coventry Road. In 2010, the parish merged with St. Philomena, St. Louis and Christ the King churches to form the Communion of Saints parish as part of the controversial restructuring by the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland. St. Ann and St. Philomena, located in East Cleveland, remained open, but St. Louis Church in Cleveland Heights and Christ the King Church in East Cleveland were closed.
Pastor and parishioners reflect on the new parish, established by the merger of St. Ann, St. Louis, St. Philomena and Christ the King
Any Christian who recites the Apostle’s Creed professes to believe in the communion of saints — the physical and spiritual fellowship of people with a shared belief and common purpose. When the congregations of St. Ann and St. Louis in Cleveland Heights merged with East Cleveland’s St. Philomena and Christ the King churches a year ago, the old congregations were required to come up with a new moniker for their newly formed parish. Parishioners chose to call their blended parish the Communion of Saints. “Everyone voted on it,” said Jean Gillet, a Cleveland Heights resident, who belonged to the former St. Philomena parish and sang with the choir at Christ the King. “We had three saints and Christ, the king. The Communion of Saints was a …